“Success happens when opportunity and preparedness meet.” “Proper preparation prevents poor performance.” We all hear quotes like these, and they sound great in theory, but have you ever found yourself asking, “Where do I start? How do I prepare?”
Author and motivational speaker, Terri Savelle Foy, teaches that success in anything truly begins in our daily habits. In fact, John C. Maxwell, world-renowned leadership author, has famously said that he would be able to tell whether or not someone would be successful simply by following them around for one full day. It is the little daily decisions, often when no one else is watching, that lead to personal growth and goals achieved. These daily disciplines and good decisions prepare us for larger things.
“The will to win is not nearly so important as the will to prepare to win.” – Vince Lombardi
That said, here are the three areas we focused on in order to prepare for future success…
DEVELOP A DAILY ROUTINE
It is often said that the most successful, influential people follow a daily routine. Identify what daily activities will make the greatest impact on your success, and integrate them into your daily routine. Here are some suggestions…
- Wake up earlier. Whether it be 15 minutes or an hour, you will start your day feeling more accomplished and confident because you stuck to this decision and have more time to prepare.
- Find a quiet time to read, pray, journal, think, or all of the above.
- Review and speak your goals. Maybe you have a vision board or notecards with your goals on them.
- Get active and watch your energy level increase so you can do more!
- Review and draw out your calendar. We have learned that if you do not know what you need to accomplish or do the next day, you have already lost the day before it has even begun!
Creating a routine will help you stay focused throughout your day, and bring a level of stability to your emotions and attitude no matter what happens. Plan, prioritize, and watch your productivity soar!
DEVELOP A PLAN FOR PERSONAL GROWTH
We have to take a look at ourselves. If we are hoping to lead others, we have to be able to first lead ourselves. We have to be better. Like Terri Savelle Foy says, “Your future success largely depends on the person you become today.”
- Listen daily to a success audio, leadership talk, or maybe it is a podcast.
- Read at least a chapter in a success or personal development book every single day.
- Communicate with your mentor, business partner, or manager regularly. Staying in communication with someone who has an interest in your success and a bird’s eye view of the playing field will make you a better leader and communicator.
TURN OFF THE NOISE
This is the cherry on top, so to speak. People often stop undoing the progress they made on themselves by allowing the noise of the world to enter in. Whether it be the news channel, binge watching the latest tv show craze, scrolling mindlessly through social media, or listening to the opinion of someone who does not have what you want in life.
Negative noise dilutes a positive spirit and fogs your mental clarity, and it is this spirit and this clarity that are needed to set and achieve goals. It is not easy to break this habit, but it is worth it!
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail” – Benjamin Franklin
It is important to note that this is a journey and it may take some time to develop good habits in these areas. However, if you are anything like us, focusing on these three areas throughout your day will make all the difference for you and your family!